introduced the NVIDIA® GeForceTM 6800 models of graphics processing units (GPUs)
for high-performance desktop computers. The NVIDIA GeForce 6 Series, which includes the flagship GeForce 6800 Ultra
and GeForce 6800
, is designed to deliver:
- Industry-leading 3D performance ? new superscalar 16-pipe architecture delivers more than twice that of current industry-leading NVIDIA GPUs
- New features, including Microsoft DirectX® 9.0 Shader Model 3.0 feature set ? for ultra-realistic cinematic effects
- Unprecedented on-chip video processing engine ? enabling high-definition video and DVD playback
Revolutionary New GeForce 6800 Architecture
The innovative 3D graphics architecture of the GeForce 6800 GPUs introduces many key new technologies that will drive the image quality and performance in 3D gaming, including:
- Blazingly Fast Graphics Performance: With a revolutionary new 16-pipeline superscalar architecture and the world's fastest GDDR3 memory, GeForce 6800 GPUs offer a staggering amount of graphics horsepower. Gaming performance is super charged with eight times the floating-point shader power, four times the shadow processing power and double the vertex processing power over last generation's award-winning GeForce FX architecture.
- Revolutionary New Feature-Set: Built with full Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 Shader Model 3.0 support, the GeForce 6 Series was built to deliver ultra-realistic next-generation DirectX 9 titles. The GeForce 6800 GPUs give developers unlimited programmability, 32-bit shader precision, displacement mapping, geometry instancing and other features unique to the GeForce 6 Series. In addition, this new GPU delivers full floating point support throughout the entire pipeline, GeForce 6800 GPUs vastly improve the quality of images in motion with floating point filtering. The new rotated-grid antialiasing feature removes jagged edges for incredible image quality and a new 16x anisotropic filtering mode adds clarity to textures.
- World's first on-chip video processor: GeForce 6800 GPUs have a programmable video processing engine that delivers stunning high-definition video playback. Featuring support for MPEG encode and decode, as well as support for Windows Media Video 9 (WMV9), the GeForce 6800 delivers an amazing video experience when used with the Microsoft® Windows® Media Centre Edition operating system. The GeForce 6800 also enables high-quality video playback on any window size, and has an integrated TV-encoder for direct-to-TV playback.
GeForce 6800 GPUs benefit from the renowned compatibility and reliability of the NVIDIA® ForceWareTM software featuring the NVIDIA Unified Driver Architecture (UDA). In addition NVIDIA ForceWare delivers industry-leading software features such as custom game profiles, HDTV output, overclocking, multi-display support and much more.
The first GPUs based on the NVIDIA GeForce 6 Series, the GeForce 6800 Ultra and GeForce 6800 models, are manufactured using IBM's high-volume 0.13-micron process technology and are currently shipping to leading add-in-card partners, OEMs, system builders and game developers.
Retail graphics boards based on the GeForce 6800 models are slated for release in the next 45 days.