Ambarella introduced the A5s Media Processor for the IP camera and video surveillance. The A5s features HD H.264 multi-streaming, excellent image quality, a flexible ARM11 CPU, and low power. The A5s family is currently shipping, with models targeting IP cameras from SD to HD and beyond. The A5s IP Camera Reference Platform with SDK is available for qualified partners. IP cameras based on Media Processor are expected to be priced below US $150.
Ambarella A5s Media Processor Highlights
- Multi-streaming HD 1080p30 H.264 encode plus simultaneous VGAp30 H.264 for thumbview and 5 MPixel (MP) JPEG for high-resolution makes HD surveillance practical
- Image Sensor Pipeline (ISP) with 3D Motion Compensated Temporal Filtering (MCTF) and per-pixel Local Exposure Correction (LEC) improves video in challenging lighting conditions
- 528 MHz ARM1136J-S CPU with AES/3DES crypto engine delivers performance headroom for robust application support and secure video transmission
- Low-power 45nm CMOS technology and SoC integration enables power- and space-sensitive applications, such as battery-operated wearable HD cameras and mini-domes with analytics
- 16-bit LPDDR2/DDR2/DDR3, NAND, SLVDS/parallel sensor i/f, BT.656 in/out, analog SD/HD out, HDMI, Ethernet MAC, USB 2.0, SSI/SPI, I2S audio, IDC, UART, RTC, WDT, GPIO, iris/AF motor stepper, and SDIO for SD Card and WiFi/3G
- Consumes less than 1 Watt (including DDR) at full HD 1080p30, allowing an IP camera design to use as little as 2 Watts
- ISP supports up to 32 MP resolution, 8- to 14-bit pixel processing, and 240 MP per-second capture
- 3D MTCF noise reduction improves low-light imaging without causing motion blur
- LEC brings out detail by adjusting the contrast for shadows and backlit portions on a pixel-by-pixel basis
- Flexible 3A and video stabilization allows for differentiation
- Sensors supported include Aptina MT9M033 (1.3 MP WDR), Aptina MT9J003 (10 MP), OmniVision OV2715 (2 MP), and Sony IMX036 (3 MP)
- H.264 Baseline/Main/High Profile encoder is tuned for video surveillance with attention to clarity of motion, region-of-interest, and low delay
- H.264/MJPEG encoder supports up to 32 MP resolution and up to four streams
The royalty-free, Linux-based A5s IP Camera Reference Platform comes with all documentation and software necessary to allow developers to quickly create fully-featured product lines of SD and HD IP cameras and video servers. A rich set of libraries and the headroom of the ARM11 CPU promote differentiation, such as tampering detection, face tracking, and encryption, while tunable AE, AWB, and AF assist in reducing optics costs and optimize quality..