First device to integrate protection against ESD, over-temperature, over-voltage and under-voltage events in a single package
Texas Instruments Incorporated introduced the industry's first device to integrate four types of USB 2.0 chip protection in a single package. The TPD4S014 provides a high level of protection against electrostatic discharge (ESD) and is the industry's smallest USB protection device for all four USB channels, measuring only 2 mm x 2 mm. Should the device junction temperature exceed 150 degrees Celsius, the switch turns off to the power rail, thus protecting against over-temperature conditions. To protect the power rail from a moving voltage line, the load switch in the TPD4S014 immediately opens, preventing under- or over-voltage if the power supply rail drops lower than 2.8 V or higher than 6.15 V.
Designers can implement the TPD4S014 in many design configurations that require a small footprint, such as cell phones, e-books, portable media players and digital cameras, tablets, embedded computing, portable navigation, portable land surveying, and portable test and measurement.
TPD4S014 key features and benefits
- First device to offer four types of protection in a single compact package: over-voltage, under-voltage, over-temperature and ESD.
- Industry's smallest USB protection device for all four USB channels, 75 percent smaller than competing devices that only offer ESD protection.
- Offers protection for all four High-Speed USB (USB 2.0) channels: D+, D-, VBUS and ID.
- Complies with the highest level of ESD protection, with immunity of +8-kV contact discharge and +15-kV air-gap discharge per IEC61000-4-2 system-level ESD immunity testing.
- Compatible with both Full Speed and High Speed, supporting data rates of up to 480 Mbps..
Availability and pricing
The TPD4S014 comes in an 10-pin, 4-mm2 DSQ SON package and is in full production now. The TPD4S014 is available from TI and authorized distributors with the suggested resale price of $0.55 in quantities of 1,000.
Tools and support
TI offers a variety of tools and support to speed development time: Quickly evaluate with the TPD4S014EVM, available today for a suggested retail price of $49.