255 mW 100BASE-FX SFP Module Minimizes System Power Consumption and Reduces the Need for Cooling Fans and Ventilation in Industrial Environments
Avago Technologies announced an ultra-low power Fast Ethernet small form-factor pluggable (SFP) fiber optic transceiver module device, the AFBR-57E6APZ, designed for industrial automation, controls and networking applications. The device features a redesigned chip set for LED control, diagnostic monitoring interface (DMI) and signal processing, which significantly reduces the module power dissipation. Compared with the previous generation device, the AFBR-57E6APZ consumes 42% less in power while delivering superior electrical and optical performance.
- Industry-leading low power consumption: 255 mW (typ), 405 mW (max);
- Industrial operating temperature: –40 °C to +85 °C;
- Link distances up to 2 km using 50/125 µm or 62.5/125 µm multimode fiber;
- Built-in DMI providing real time information on temperature, LED bias current, LED average output power and receiver average input power;
- Compatible with SFF-8074i and SFF-8472 MSA specifications;
- Compatible with 100BASE-FX version of IEEE 802.3u;
- Robust, long-life LED technology preventing catastrophic failure of the laser like sudden death or mirror degradation.
“Fast Ethernet is widely used in industrial automation, controls and networking. As more fiber optic nodes are added to the network, cumulative heat dissipation becomes an industrial concern prompting the need for low power fiber optic transceiver solutions,” said Martin Weigert, vice president and general manager of the Industrial Fiber Product Division (IFPD) at Avago. “Our new ultra-low power 100BASE-FX SFP module is an ideal solution that addresses the power issue that affects many of our industrial customers, enabling them to simplify the network rack design and avoid having to use expensive cooling fans and ventilation in their systems.”
The AFBR-57E6APZ is priced starting at $32.10 USD in 1,000 piece quantity. Samples and production quantities are available now through the Avago direct sales channels and worldwide distribution partners.