Linear Technology introduces the LTM8053, a μModule® (power module) step-down regulator with up to 40 V input voltage (42 V abs max), which can safely operate from unregulated or fluctuating 12 V to 36 V input supplies in noisy environments, such as industrial robotics, factory automation and avionics systems.
The LTM8053 houses a switching regulator controller, power switches, inductor and other supporting components in a 6.25 mm × 9 mm × 3.32 mm BGA package. With only two capacitors and two resistors the LTM8053’s solution occupies approximately 150 mm2, versus alternative solutions requiring up to 250 mm2 and twice as many components.
The LTM8053 delivers 3.5 A of continuous (6 A peak) output current, and its SHARE pin enables current sharing, allowing it to operate in parallel to deliver more current. The output voltage is adjustable with one resistor from 0.97 V to 15 V. This wide output voltage range provides versatility, so this one device generates common system bus voltages of 3.3 V, 5 V, 12 V and 15 V. The efficiency at 12 VIN to 5 VOUT is 90%. The LTM8053 delivers 3.5 A of output current up to 85 °C ambient without a heat sink or airflow (12 VIN to 5 VOUT).
The LTM8053 operating temperature range is –40 °C to 125 °C. 1,000-piece pricing starts at $9.66 each.
Summary of Features: LTM8053
- Complete Step-Down Switch Mode Power Supply
- Wide Input Voltage Range: 3.4 V to 40 V
- Wide Output Voltage Range: 0.97 V to 15 V
- 3.5 A Continuous Output Current, 6 A Peak
- Parallelable for Increased Output Current
- Selectable Switching Frequency: 200 kHz to 3 MHz
- Tiny, Low Profile 6.25 mm × 9 mm × 3.32 mm RoHS Compliant BGA Package.