Linear Technology Corporation introduces the LTC7130, a constant frequency peak current mode synchronous step-down DC/DC converter with temperature-compensated ultralow DCR current sensing and clock synchronization. The device’s unique architecture eases compensation and offers the ability to directly parallel multiple ICs for higher current capability. It also enhances the signal-to-noise ratio of the current sense signal, enabling the use of a very low DC resistance power inductor to maximize efficiency in high current applications. This feature also reduces the switching jitter commonly found in low DCR applications and improves current limit accuracy. The LTC7130’s 4.5 V to 20 V input range supports a wide variety of applications, including most intermediate bus voltages, and is compatible with many battery types. Integrated N-channel MOSFETs can deliver continuous load currents as high as 20 A at output voltages ranging from 0.6 V to 5.5 V, making it ideal for point-of-load applications such as high current / low voltage DSP / FPGA / ASIC reference designs. Other applications include telecom/datacom systems, distributed power architectures and general high power density systems.
The LTC7130’s low 90 ns minimum on-time allows for a high step-down ratio power supply at high frequency operation. The operating frequency is selectable from 250 kHz to 770 kHz and can be synchronized to an external clock. The LTC7130’s total differential output voltage accuracy is ±0.5% over the –40 °C to 125 °C operating junction temperature range. Additional features include a high speed differential remote sense amplifier, programmable output current limit, output short-circuit protection with soft recovery, programmable soft-start/tracking, EXTVCC for reduced power dissipation and a fault indicator for output UV/OV conditions.
|Efficiency vs Load Current.|
The LTC7130 is available in a thermally enhanced 6.25 mm × 7.5 mm × 2.22 mm BGA package, with both RoHS lead-free and leaded SnPb (63/37) finishes. The E-and I-grades are guaranteed from –40 °C to 125 °C operating junction temperature range. The 1,000-piece price starts at $7.95 each for the E grade. All versions are available from stock.
Summary of Features: LTC7130
- Wide VIN Range: 4.5 V to 20 V
- Optimized for Low Duty Cycle Applications
- High Efficiency: Up to 95%
- Proprietary Current Mode Architecture
- High Current Parallel Operation
- Ultralow DCR Current Sensing with Temperature Compensation
- Programmable Output Current Limit
- High Speed Differential Remote Sense Amplifier
- ±0.5% Output Voltage Regulation Accuracy
- Output Short-Circuit Protection with Soft Recovery
- Programmable Soft-Start, Tracking
- Programmable & Synchronizable Fixed Frequency from 250 kHz to 770 kHz
- EXTVCC for Reduced Power Dissipation
- Fault Indicator for Output UV/OV Conditions
- 6.25 mm × 7.5 mm × 2.22 mm BGA Package