Highly Accurate New LDOs in SOT-23 Simplify Power Design for 150-mA, 250-mA and 400-mA DevicesOct. 22, 2003 - Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) announced new capacitor-free low drop-out linear regulators (LDOs) with reverse leakage current protection and extremely low noise. The new LDOs are ideal for 150-mA, 250-mA and 400-mA applications such as personal digital assistants (PDAs), electronic game consoles, wireless LAN cards, notebook computers, digital cameras and digital signal processor (DSP) power supplies. See'power.ti.com/sc03173.
TI's new TPS731xx, TPS732xx and TPS736xx families of high performance LDOs provide excellent load transient response and stability with or without an additional output capacitor. All three families of devices help extend battery life and system run-times through a low current consumption of under 1 µA when the LDOs are in shutdown mode.'
Key Features of the TPS731xx, TPS732xx and TPS736xx LDOs:
- No Output Capacitor Required for Stability'
- Ultra-low Dropout Voltage: 30 mV Typical'
- Excellent Load Transient Response - With or Without Optional Output Capacitor'
- New NMOS Topology Delivers Low Reverse Leakage Current'
- Low Noise: 30 µV(RMS) Typical (10 Hz to 100 kHz)'
- One Percent Overall Accuracy Over Line, Load and Temperature'
- Less Than 1 µA Max I(Q) in Shutdown Mode'
- Thermal Shutdown and Current Limit Protection'
- Input Voltages: 1.8 V to 5.5 V'
- Standard Output Voltages: 5 V, 3.3 V, 3 V, 2.5 V, 1.8 V, 1.5 V and Adjustable (1.2 V to 5.5 V)'
- Custom Output Voltages Available
The three LDO families are available today in a five-pin, small SOT-23 package from TI and its authorized distributors. Suggested resale pricing in the SOT-23 in quantities of 1,000 units is $0.45 for the TPS731xx 150-mA LDOs, $0.65 for the TPS732xx 250-mA devices and $0.80 for the TPS736xx 400-mA LDOs.